Friday, August 20, 2010

Some background info

At 22, I was a single mom, sick of renting apartments and wanted my own home. On an extremely tight budget and with a little inheritance money, I bought a 2001 single wide mobile home. I hated it. I still hate it. But I knew it was a good move to stop renting and start owning - even if all I could own was what I considered a dumb trailer.

A few years later, I am now in the process of fixing it up so I can sell my mobile home and upgrade into a real house.

I'm starting this blog to give other mobile home owners inspiration and tips on turning their "crappy trailer" into a home. This isn't one of those websites where people worship mobile homes and think they are the greatest dwelling on earth and are willing to pump loads of cash into it - it seems like that's all I see when researching renovation projects. This is a blog for people who are broke-ass poor, like me, who want to fix up their home little by little as cheap as possible.

Because that's exactly how I did it.

Here are some Before pictures of the mobile home I bought a few years ago. It was a foreclosure that had been vacant for 2 years. Everything was original and there was CARPET IN THE BATHROOMS. Yuck.


1 comment:

  1. We had the same ugly green carpet...even in the bathroom! We put an inexpensive white (yes, I know, crazy, but it lasted 7 years and stayed clean even with kids)berber carpet in the living areas and laminate wood look in the bathrooms. You are so right that carpet in a bathroom is completely stupid. Especially in mobile homes where water damage and faulty plumbing fixtures are the name of the game.

    Carpet in a bathroom that two boys share is also a big mistake. I love the bathroom counter redo...quick and easy! Have you had problems with it getting nicked and scratched at all? We painted our kitchen counters to look like granite and it looked great...lasted another 7 years so far. Good luck with making your home better!

    ReplyDelete